Friday, September 01, 2006

Fair Trade Coffee

Speaking of coffee, I recently was a part of a conversation with church members about the kind of coffee we purchase and provide as a church. We currently have those huge silver percolators in halls throughout the church, which produce some substance often referred to as coffee. Our conversation was about the need to have only Fair Trade Coffee. This desire was especially brewing among our group who recently returned from a trip to the mountains of Guatemala, where they saw coffee growing and met farmers. I have thought of offering only fair trade coffee before in other churches where I have served, but have discovered that, even though others in the church like the idea and support the cause, it is the taste that has kept it from happening. And, in Baptist churches, majority coffee taste rules. Does anyone know of a tasty, robust cup certified by Fair Trade?

3 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Leckie said...

Mark Batterson of National Community Church in Washington D.C. has a coffee shop called Ebenezers.

I know that they use only fair trade coffee. Their roaster is Larry's Beans.

How are you liking my hometown? Truly a different world, no?

9/02/2006 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger John Henson said...

Truly. I love it. I'll check out Larry's. Come see us when you are in town. Nice chin!

9/02/2006 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger John Henson said...

Ken,

Thanks for the link to Greem Mountain Coffee. I look forward to sampling, esp. the House Blend.

9/02/2006 05:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home